Founding an association
Have a hobby that’s close to your heart that you feel your fellow students could also enjoy? Share a passion for a sport you feel is currently underrepresented at KY? Why not start your own club?
Start off by flicking through KY’s association register – does KY already have a club that caters to ideas close to yours? If you’re confident you can bring something new to the table, familiarize yourself with KY’s by-laws for associations (in Finnish), which provide the framework for operating under KY. Once you’re convinced your association satisfies these criteria, you can start the foundation process:
Hold a constitutive meeting
- Select the name and form the rules for the association (can be formed beforehand but must be approved in the constitutive meeting)
- Decide how people can become members of the association (remember that all KY members need to be able to join)
- Sign the charter of the association
- Compile minutes of the constitutive meeting that will be checked and signed
- Draw up an action plan for the association (a long term plan as well as a more detailed plan for the following year)
Remember that you can also promote your constitutive meeting on KY Events on Facebook and on Kyweb’s event calendar.
Register your association at the Finnish Patent and Registration Office (PRH)
- Apply online and pay the registration fee (85 euros in 2015)
- Prepare and attach the following to the application:
- Official rules and signed charter of the association
- Association’s notice forms
Make sure your association meets KY’s criteria
- At least 60% of members must be members of KY ry
- The association must be registered at PRH
- The association must comply with KY’s by-laws for associations
Apply for KY’s association register
Apply for KY's association register by filling this form. The Secretary for Clubs and Societies will handle your application and present it to KY Board for approval. You will be informed during the process.
To be able to fill the form you need following information:
- Association's name and aim
- Business ID or association’s registration number
- Primary and secondary email addresses
- The board’s:
- Contact information
- List of members (with KY members clearly indicated)
- The time and date of the annual meeting
The KY Board will choose to accept or reject new associations to KY’s association register and may assign certain restrictions if all the criteria are not met.
If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to get in touch! The Secretary for Clubs and Societies, Maija is always eager to answer any questions you might have!